Looking back at what I’ve already done in my career is something I haven’t really thought about until now. Most of us are so focused on what needs to happen today, tomorrow, next week and in the future, it’s not easy to look back and be grateful for all of those opportunities you’ve had already. A lot of times, the things we remember most are the moments, opportunities and friends we make along the way, not the actual work stuff.
We all know John Lennon’s famous quote: “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans”. I think it’s a good idea to stop sometimes amidst all the planning and acknowledge some of the magical moments and opportunities you have already had. I am so thankful for the chances I’ve had so far and all the people that have made these things possible. I hope this inspires you to think about the things that have happened to you.
My “I can’t believe I’m doing this” career moments: (yes these actually happened while I was working)
• Experiencing a zero gravity flight over the Gulf of Mexico
• Shaking hands with Martha Stewart at a restaurant in the Hamptons
• Driving a high speed boat from Anguilla to Saint-Martin
• Chatting with Suze Orman in the Today Show greenroom
• Learning how to race a 12 metre yacht on the America’s Cup winner, Stars & Stripes in St Maarten
• Touring Boeing’s final assembly plant in Seattle
• Mayor Gavin Newsom making an appearance at one of my events in San Francisco
• Walking through historic ports and abandoned resorts in the Caribbean with developer and ex-Disney Imagineer, Hugh Darley
• Chatting with LeVar Burton about plans for Historic Falmouth in Jamaica