I recently went through an intensive video production “bootcamp”, and finally mastered how to shoot, edit and produce quality clips for the web that will get watched. I had always wanted to produce my own video content and this course was incredible. Of course, I knew online video content was important and that it does, and will, play a huge role in the future of marketing, but thought these facts could put it into perspective for all marketers and brands out there:
1. 80% of people never get past the first 10 seconds and 44.1% abandon video after 60 seconds. (Source: NY Times/ Visible Measures)
2. 60% of all web traffic comes from online videos (Forrester)
3. A video in Google’s index is 53 times more likely to appear on the first page.
4. According to Chris Anderson (Curator of TED) 95% of the Internet will be video in the next 10 years.
5. 175 million U.S. Internet users watched online video content in September for an average of 14.4 hours per viewer. The total U.S. Internet audience engaged in more than 5.2 billion viewing sessions during the course of the month. (Source: ComScore Oct, 2010)
6. 68% of the Top 50 Internet Retailers use video on their websites (Forrester Research)
7. Google Sites, driven primarily by video viewing at YouTube.com, ranked as the top online video content property with 144.2 million unique views (ComScore, Oct 2010)
8. The average American watches 4.5 hours of TV per day and spends 8.5 hours a day looking at screens.
9. People are watching 2 billion videos a day on YouTube
10. Every minute, 24 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube.